| CHAPTER FOUR
John being summoned to the Throne Room was to reassure him there is nothing to fear, that all will be fine in the end for those loving Jesus Christ. The result of this Tribulation is not only one of destruction but many of our loved ones will turn their lives over to the Lord. Do not despair dear ones, for the rebellion of our young will come to naught as they see the destruction and remember the words of our Lord.
Verse 1 NLT
Then as I looked, I saw a door standing open in heaven, and the same voice I had heard before spoke to me like a trumpet blast. The voice said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must happen after this.”
Many use this verse to support their belief in the "pre-trib" rapture. They say the door being open and the invitation to "come up hither" is speaking of the Rapture of the followers of Jesus Christ. Let’s look carefully at the scriptures used to support the “pre-trib” theory/belief. It's important that we take the Bible as a whole, not just one sentence here and there to prove a point.
“Immediately after the anguish of those days, the sun will be darkened, the moon will give no light, the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken. 30) And then at last, the sign that the Son of Man is coming will appear in the heavens, and there will be deep mourning among all the peoples of the earth. And they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31) And he will send out his angels with the mighty blast of a trumpet, and they will gather his chosen ones from all over the world—from the farthest ends of the earth and heaven.
The sky will be darkened a well as the clouds will fall from the sky, this is probably a result of meteor showers, which will cause the sky to darken due to the ash and debri rising up blocking the sun. Then at the trumpet call Jesus will come in the clouds.. oh yes, there must be clouds as well.
Notice how all man will see Jesus when He comes. His coming will be as a thief in the night to those not watching, but nevertheless He will be seen by all for He is brighter then the sun. Speaking of the "last trumpet", we know there are other trumpets before this one, we are going to experience a few things before we are taken out. We need to study and see how many trumpets there are and what will happen at the time just before we are removed so we will know what to look for.
1 Thes 4:16-17
For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud cry of summons, with the shout of an archangel, and with the blast of the trumpet of God. And those who have departed this life in Christ will rise first. Then we, the living ones who remain [on the earth], shall simultaneously be caught up along with [the resurrected dead] in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air; and so always (through the eternity of the eternities) we shall be with the Lord!
Again there is a trumpet call, and a shout! With the voice of the archangel, and notice it is in the air, and the dead rise first. There is no disputing this is the Rapture not the Fourth chapter as some believe..
2 Thes 2:1-8
Now, dear brothers and sisters, let us clarify some things about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and how we will be gathered to meet him. 2) Don’t be so easily shaken or alarmed by those who say that the day of the Lord has already begun. Don’t believe them, even if they claim to have had a spiritual vision, a revelation, or a letter supposedly from us. 3) Don’t be fooled by what they say. For that day will not come until there is a great rebellion against God and the man of lawlessness is revealed—the one who brings destruction. 4) He will exalt himself and defy everything that people call god and every object of worship. He will even sit in the temple of God, claiming that he himself is God.
5) Don’t you remember that I told you about all this when I was with you? 6) And you know what is holding him back, for he can be revealed only when his time comes. 7) For this lawlessness is already at work secretly, and it will remain secret until the one who is holding it back steps out of the way. 8) Then the man of lawlessness will be revealed, but the Lord Jesus will kill him with the breath of his mouth and destroy him by the splendor of his coming.
The great rebellion against the Lord is the great falling away. At the end of the Tribulation when Jesus returns to set up His kingdom here on Earth, He will put an end to the rule of the anti-Christ, by throwing him into the Lake of Fire (Rev 19:20). The anti-Christ will be instrumental in the signing of the Seven-Year Peace treaty. This signing will be the official beginning of the seven-year Tribulation.
1 Cor 15:51
Take notice! I tell you a mystery (a secret truth, an event decreed by the hidden purpose or counsel of God). We shall not all fall asleep [in death], but we shall all be changed (transformed) In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the [sound of the] last trumpet call. For a trumpet will sound, and the dead [in Christ] will be raised imperishable (free and immune from decay), and we shall be changed (transformed).
Again we see this is a secret or mystery, but notice the key words which show us when the rapture will happen. The rapture will not take place until the LAST TRUMPET sounds, plus their will be clouds and the skies will be darkened.. We need to study the Bible to see when these things come to pass and the Rapture is near. There will be more on the subject of the rapture later on.
At once I came under the [Holy] Spirit's power, and behold, a throne stood in heaven, with One seated on the throne!
John is in the throne room of Heaven. The Greek word for throne is "Seat of Power". The Dispensation of grace is about to end and the day of judgment to begin.
And He Who sat there appeared like [the crystalline brightness of] jasper and [the fiery] sardius, and encircling the throne there was a halo that looked like [a rainbow of] emerald.
The Rainbow represents the Covenant God made with Noah never again to destroy the Earth, with water.
Gen 9:12-17 NLT
Then God said, “I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come. 13) I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth. 14) When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, 15) and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures. Never again will the floodwaters destroy all life. 16) When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.” 17) Then God said to Noah, “Yes, this rainbow is the sign of the covenant I am confirming with all the creatures on earth.”
Twenty-four other thrones surrounded the throne, and seated on these thrones were twenty-four elders (the members of the heavenly Sanhedrin), arrayed in white clothing, with crowns of gold upon their heads.
This could be one of two things: 1) Two men from each of the twelve tribes or 2) One from each tribe as well as the twelve New Testament Disciples .. as a symbol of the Old and New united as one. Robes of white represents His righteousness.
The Crowns (Greek: stephanos) represents Public Honor, Triumph and for Distinguished sevice.
The Crown's of Gold (Greek: chrusion) represent sound doctrine and the effect it had upon their walk in righteousness.
From the throne came flashes of lightning and the rumble of thunder. And in front of the throne were seven torches with burning flames. This is the sevenfold Spirit of God.
For the SEVEN SPIRITS Jesus operated in the fullness of all the Spirits without limit. Lightening and thunder is another keyword, this is the voice of God.
AND THERE shall come forth a Shoot out of the stock of Jesse [David's father], and a Branch out of his roots shall grow and bear fruit. 2) And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him--the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and of the reverential and obedient fear of the Lord-- 3) And shall make Him of quick understanding, and His delight shall be in the reverential and obedient fear of the Lord. And He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes, neither decide by the hearing of His ears; 4) But with righteousness and justice shall He judge the poor and decide with fairness for the meek, the poor, and the downtrodden of the earth; and He shall smite the earth and the oppressor with the rod of His mouth, and with the breath of His lips He shall slay the wicked.
Verse 6 NLT
In front of the throne was a shiny sea of glass, sparkling like crystal. In the center and around the throne were four living beings, each covered with eyes, front and back.
SEA OF GLASS [Gk. thalassa] means Fixed Purity and Holiness: This will be beautiful.
According to Vine’s Dictionary, the word BEAST (used in the KJV) [zoom] should be called CREATURES. They stand before the throne of God and give glory, honor and thanks.
The use of the word EYES signifies intelligence as to what is before and at the rear of them as they see all around. Lets take a good look at these marvelous Beings:
Ezekiel 1: 1-28 NLT
On July 31 of my thirtieth year, while I was with the Judean exiles beside the Kebar River in Babylon, the heavens were opened and I saw visions of God.
This same Being John saw around the Throne of God. He is able to travel to Earth as well as Heaven.. lets take a look at him .. it's remarkable to say the least.
2) This happened during the fifth year of King Jehoiachin’s captivity. 3) (The Lord gave this message to Ezekiel son of Buzi, a priest, beside the Kebar River in the land of the Babylonians, and he felt the hand of the Lord take hold of him.)
God gave this expressly to Ezekiel the priest/prophet.
4) As I looked, I saw a great storm coming from the north, driving before it a huge cloud that flashed with lightning and shone with brilliant light. There was fire inside the cloud, and in the middle of the fire glowed something like gleaming amber.
The cloud with fire is exhibiting God to be a consuming fire, both being a key word for God. Moses met this same fire on Mt. Horeb (Ex 31-2). The Lord inhabits the Cloud in Ex.40:34-38.
5) From the center of the cloud came four living beings that looked human,
This is one of many of God's created Beings found in Heaven.
6) except that each had four faces and four wings. 7) Their legs were straight, and their feet had hooves like those of a calf and shone like burnished bronze. 8) Under each of their four wings I could see human hands. So each of the four beings had four faces and four wings. 9) The wings of each living being touched the wings of the beings beside it. Each one moved straight forward in any direction without turning around.
What beautiful magnificent Beings these must be.
10) Each had a human face in the front, the face of a lion on the right side, the face of an ox on the left side, and the face of an eagle at the back.
These four faces give us pause to consider their meaning. The face of the man could be for Understanding, the Lion for his Strength and Boldness, the ox for his Perseverance and Patience, while the eagle is for his Quick Alertness and Wisdom.
11) Each had two pairs of outstretched wings—one pair stretched out to touch the wings of the living beings on either side of it, and the other pair covered its body. 12) They went in whatever direction the spirit chose, and they moved straight forward in any direction without turning around. 13) The living beings looked like bright coals of fire or brilliant torches, and lightning seemed to flash back and forth among them. 14) And the living beings darted to and fro like flashes of lightning.
15) As I looked at these beings, I saw four wheels touching the ground beside them, one wheel belonging to each. 16) The wheels sparkled as if made of beryl. All four wheels looked alike and were made the same; each wheel had a second wheel turning crosswise within it. 17) The beings could move in any of the four directions they faced, without turning as they moved. 18) The rims of the four wheels were tall and frightening, and they were covered with eyes all around.
These wheels beside the Beings sound like a vessel of some sort to take them from Earth and back to Heaven. There sounds like portals for them to look through. How intriguing to even imagine such a thing in Heaven.
19) When the living beings moved, the wheels moved with them. When they flew upward, the wheels went up, too. 20)The spirit of the living beings was in the wheels. So wherever the spirit went, the wheels and the living beings also went. 21) When the beings moved, the wheels moved. When the beings stopped, the wheels stopped. When the beings flew upward, the wheels rose up, for the spirit of the living beings was in the wheels.
We must keep in mind John was describing something so alien to him with no point of reference to draw on.
22) Spread out above them was a surface like the sky, glittering like crystal. 23) Beneath this surface the wings of each living being stretched out to touch the others’ wings, and each had two wings covering its body. 24) As they flew, their wings sounded to me like waves crashing against the shore or like the voice of the Almighty or like the shouting of a mighty army. When they stopped, they let down their wings. 25) As they stood with wings lowered, a voice spoke from beyond the crystal surface above them.
26) Above this surface was something that looked like a throne made of blue lapis lazuli. And on this throne high above was a figure whose appearance resembled a man. 27) From what appeared to be his waist up, he looked like gleaming amber, flickering like a fire. And from his waist down, he looked like a burning flame, shining with splendor. 28) All around him was a glowing halo, like a rainbow shining in the clouds on a rainy day. This is what the glory of the Lord looked like to me. When I saw it, I fell face down on the ground, and I heard someone’s voice speaking to me.
Again, we are seeing key words such as Rainbow, clouds and fire being attributed to God and His glory. What a wondrous sight this must have been for John.
Rev 4 con't
The first living creature (being) was like a lion, the second living creature like an ox, the third living creature had the face of a man, and the fourth living creature [was] like a flying eagle.
See the passage above.
And the four living creatures, individually having six wings, were full of eyes all over and within [underneath their wings]; and day and night they never stop saying, Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty (Omnipotent), Who was and Who is and Who is to come.
This is awesome, I had bought into the symbolic meaning of this, but now as I see it this is one of many Beings in Heaven. This marvelous creation leads in the singing and worship around the throne.
It's too easy to buy into symbolism for most things, I really believe I over did it and now I am correcting that. There is a place for the symbolic, but we also need to remember this was written by an old man trying to describe things mankind has never seen, as well as writing in code to get it past the guards. I am so sorry for having bought into the wrong teaching like the pre-trib, and taught it. We need to study with an open mind not searching to prove a pre-conceived idea.
NEXT BACK HOME EMAIL